Subject: Re: Recording problem

Re: Recording problem

From: Jerry Van Baren <gerald.vanbaren_at_smiths-aerospace.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 08:12:34 -0500

Sandra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've had this recording problem since I got my recorder v1, but now it
> doesn't just happen once in a wwile but almost everytime I try to make a
> longer recording.
>
> I'm using rockbox 2.5.
>
> When I try to make longer recordings, the first 30 minutes of the mp3
> are just fine, but at some point in the file there's no sound when I
> play it back in Winamp. When I use rockbox to listen to it, the file
> will play just fine for some time, but the sound will begin to stutter
> at some point.
>
> When I open the file with goldwave or mp3directcut, I'm told there's an
> encoding error of some kind...
>
> Does anyone here know this problem and how to solve it?
>
> I find this really anoying because I like to use my recorder to make
> recordings of broadcasts of life concerts, but can't obviously do so now:-)
>
> I'd appreciate your help.
> Thanks in advance
>
> Sandra.

Since your AJR appears to be getting worse over time, it makes me
suspicious that you have a hard drive/file system problem. Have you
checked your AJR disk for errors recently?

In WinXP, right-click the AJR drive, select Properties, select the
"Tools" tab, and click the "Check Now" button (previous Windows versions
it was "Scandisk" under "Start/Accessories/System Tools" (maybe)). For
a first pass, don't select "Automatically fix file system errors" or
"Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". Depending on what the
initial scan finds, you may want to try those options.

Warning: this takes a fair amount of time and eats the batteries. You
definitely want to start with fully charged batteries and have the power
adapter plugged in. Even with the adapter plugged in, the AJR will be
discharging the batteries because the adapter does not supply enough
juice to run the disk continuously.

gvb