Subject: Re: Recording problem

Re: Recording problem

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: 2005-11-02

LinusN wrote:

> There is a bug in the MP3 encoding chip that makes it lose a few bits in
> the stream, and the recorded data will be shifted, i.e not byte-aligned
> anymore. This is more likely to happen if you record with a high quality
> setting.
>
> There is unfortunately nothing we can do about it.

Not exactly true, probably Linus didn't want to spur too high expectations.
;-)

The MAS has a bug, you could solder in a more recent chip to really resolve
the problem. All Archos have the older, buggy version.

Or Rockbox does a similar workaround like the Archos firmware does: It
tracks the frames of incoming mp3 data. In case of a mismatch the MAS gets
restarted. Results in a minor glitch in the recording, but will hardly get
noticed, as rare as it happens.

The latter has been discussed on IRC, perhaps will get implemented one day.
(Jens? ;-)

Jrg

Satte Provisionen fr GMX Partner: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/partner