Subject: Re: Recording problem

Re: Recording problem

From: [IDC]Dragon <idc-dragon_at_gmx.de>
Date: 2005-11-02

> > The MAS has a bug, you could solder in a more recent chip to really
> resolve
> > the problem. All Archos have the older, buggy version.
>
> How difficult a soldering job?

It's a QFP64, 0.5mm pin spacing.
The most difficult part to even experienced SMT solderers probably is to get
a later revision of the MAS3587. Don't ask me how that mask is called.

> > Or Rockbox does a similar workaround like the Archos firmware does: It
> > tracks the frames of incoming mp3 data. In case of a mismatch the MAS
> gets
> > restarted. Results in a minor glitch in the recording, but will hardly
> get
> > noticed, as rare as it happens.
>
> I mostly record concerts, typically 2-4 hours at a go.
> Less than half my files make it through MP3Fixer unscathed.
> It's not rare in my experience.

No, misunderstanding:
The workaround would cause a minor glitch every few hours (that's something
I could live with and call rare), when the bit loss occurs. Without, your
recording is toast after that, or has to be rescued with Jens' very special
tool.

Jörg

--
Highspeed-Freiheit. Bei GMX supergünstig, z.B. GMX DSL_Cityflat,
DSL-Flatrate für nur 4,99 Euro/Monat*  http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl