Subject: Re: sound settings on rb

Re: sound settings on rb

From: Jens Arnold <arnold-j_at_t-online.de>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 00:56:38 +0100

On 04.11.2005, rob powell wrote:

> Hi, having just started using rockbox 2.5 on the iriver 140, I

?? There is no release version yet for iriver, so you can't be
using 2.5. There are only daily builds.

> notice that from 2.2, the way the sound settings works has
> changed. The volume limit when the bass is turned up to stop

The behaviour hasn't changed at all, it is implemented the exact
same way as on the archos player, because the audio chip
(Philips UDA1380) has similar ways to control the audio
processing as the MAS3507/DAC3550 pair in the player.
The archos recorders and Ondios are indeed different though.

> MP3 files clipping . This may have been discussed before, but
> however my view is, that the margin of error might have been

The volume is limited by the exact amount that prevents clipping
in all cases, i.e. even for full-amplitude tracks.

> set to high. I can t get a good loud volume out of my unit
> with plenty of bass, to have a rock blow out occasionally. I
> ve tried with a few sets of phones, though the ones I use most
> are the Senheiser PX200 s. Would it be possible to alter the

The maximum achievable volume of the iriver is indeed lower than
that of any of the archos units. For me it's still more than
enough though, standard earphone volume is around 50..60 ...

> relationship between volume and bass? After all if the MP3
> file that we re listening to clips, we can use the volume

See above. We can't circumvent the hardware limits. The only
option to maximise the volume is to ensure all tracks are using
the full amplitude.

> control. I have the bass set at about 14DB and the volume won
> t go past 85%. Maybe lower that that.

You're right. 14 dB of bass (!) limit the volume to 83%.

Regards, Jens