Subject: SOLVED: HELP! Jukebox Recorder 2.0: *PANIC* disk:NULL after HD upgrade

SOLVED: HELP! Jukebox Recorder 2.0: *PANIC* disk:NULL after HD upgrade

From: Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn_at_ant.uni-bremen.de>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 12:06:53 +0100

[IDC]Dragon wrote:
>>I would really like to know, what "*PANIC* disk:NULL" really means. I
>>tried looking into the source, but could only find a 2.5 tarball whereas
>>the jukebox runs 2.2
>

> With this early version, Rockbox had the misbehaviour of trying to look at
> the disk first, before entering USB mode. Perhaps this is what locks you
> out? Have you tried booting with F1, maybe the Archos firmware does better.
> I presume you have flashed old style, no Bootbox yet.
>
> If you still have your old disk, are you able to flash update first?
>
> To comfort all Bootbox users: This is checking for USB before touching the
> disk.
>
> Jörg

Thanks to all who replied!
Booting with F1 did the trick. The Box entered USB-Mode and i was able
to partiton and format the drive from my PC.
One strangeness still remains: I copied some mp3 files to the disk and
when i play them, i get a message: "Error accessing playlist control
file" but they are played anyway. Did i do something wrong formatting
the drive? I used linux fdisk to create a single primary partition:

Disk /dev/sda: 40.0 GB, 40007761920 bytes
64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 38154 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2048 * 512 = 1048576 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 38154 39069680 b W95 FAT32

and formatted with mkdosfs. The drive is a FUJITSU MHT2040AT.

BTW, many thanks to the developers and testers of this great software
which clearly outperforms the vendor supplied one, especially while
recording (with the original firmware, recordings were always broken).

--Heinrich