Subject: Re: Batteries

Re: Batteries

From: Neon John <>
Date: 2005-11-18

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 04:53:58 +0000, Bluechip <>

>Here is an advert page for the 1hour charger with batteries that I purchased.
>You can click the image to enlarge.
>The wall wart and cable for the lighter adaptor is in a blister on the back
>of the package - so you can't see them in the picture.

That one is different than either of mine. Go figure.

>The batteries were fine when I put them in, although one did start flashing
>when I kicked the charger, and the charger had to be powered down and back
>up again. Two of my archos batteries flashed at me, the other two
>charged. I reset the charger a few times that evening, but it was happy to
>complain about the same batteries every time.

Let me make sure I read that correctly. You have to power down the
charger to reset the blinkies? Strange. Both of mine reset when I
take the battery out of the slot.

I've found that sometimes I can "shock" a cell into charging by
briefly connecting the cell across a large 12 volt gell cell via two
light gauge gator clip jumpers, letting the jumpers be the current
limiters. Maybe 5 seconds at most. No idea what that does to the
cell other than warm it a little but it has worked often enough to
know that something is happening.

>I don't know why it stresses "unplug between uses" that a "save the
>environment" thing or does it really need to have it's power cut bewtween
>charge cycles?

I leave mine on more or less all the time. Cycling power doesn't seem
to affect the behavior when one is acting up. I've tried all combos -
taking batteries out, cycling power, leaving batteries in, cycling
power, one battery at time, etc. Neither charger seems to like its
own brand of batteries.

John De Armond
Cleveland, Occupied TN