Subject: screwed up my box

screwed up my box

From: rob powell <rob_at_rinty.plus.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 19:12:56 -0000

Hi, I’ve managed to screw up my rockbox, and I need some help.

I’ve an Archos Fmrecorder, with an 80GB drive. Last weekend, I
managed to upgrade the flash to rockbox2.5, from 2.2. I believe I
used the bootbox utility for this.

I turned the contrast and other stuff right down, on the display, to
save my slightly ailing batteries. Apparently you can’t buy
replacement batteries for it. Result is that the display appears blank
to sighted users.

Unfortunately, earlier in the week, my Archos suddenly stopped
talking menus and so on, though filenames and directories still spoke
with the MP3 clips. I’m absolutely sure that I didn’t turn menu
voicing off, as it would totally defeat the object…

I tried to upgrade again last night, with a daily build. I’m Not sure
how, as the file system defaults all the time to music as the files it
’ll show, but I managed to run the rockbox file, (adjbrek.ajz???? and
got a talking box again. I reflashed it again, or thought I had, and
it worked fine last night. However after turning it off, it won’t
speak again this morning.

I probably shouldn’t have tampered with my nice working v2.2 box!!.
Anyway, the display’s still unreadable, which indicates that it’s gone
back to the 2.5 flash version that I installed at the weekend.

I’ve noticed that with 2.5, settings are often not saved, and this was
especially true with the daily build that I installed. I reset the
time 3 times last night, and the show files option kept defaulting to
“music”.

How do I get my box back to a stable talking flashed state again?

As a note, I’m totally blind, so any help would be most useful if it
took that into account.

Rob
Thanks,

Rob