Subject: Re: Updated voiceBox package

Re: Updated voiceBox package

From: Brian Wolven <bcwolven_at_jhu.edu>
Date: 2005-11-29

Brian Wolven wrote:
> Nick Allan wrote:
>> I also seem to be having a problem. The program launches and I can
>> make all
>> the settings, but when I click the button to start the process, jaws
>> continually speaks the button which has focus. Only dirname.talk in the
>> directory specified is created.

> Where Jaws is concerned, I don't know what to tell you. I don't have it,
> so I have no clue as to what might cause it to do that. There is no
> visible window associated with the script process itself, so I'm not
> sure why the focus seems to 'flicker' like that. I do notice the change
> in focus if I have the cursor over a window - any window - when the
> script is running. Moving the cursor off onto an open area of the
> desktop makes it stop doing that. (I use X-mouse options that make the
> window under the cursor the active window.) I'll look around and see if
> I can find some cause for the focus changes, but that might be a hard
> problem to diagnose. Perhaps it's the call to the shell to run the
> external encoder (LAME)? In the meantime, can you somehow switch the
> focus away from any windows with text in them (e.g. on to the desktop)
> while the script is running? Do any other Jaws users out there know how
> to avoid this problem?

I think I may have found the cure, as it looks like it was indeed that
call to the shell.run method. You can either download the updated
package from the usual place, or edit just one character in the
voiceUtils.vbs file, changing this line:

      retval = Shell.Run(cmdRun,2,true)

to this instead:

      retval = Shell.Run(cmdRun,7,true)

As the MS docs indicate, 2 has this behavior:

2 Activates the window and displays it as a minimized window.

while 7 has this behavior:

7 Displays the window as a minimized window. The active window remains
active.

Which means, apparently, no change in focus each time lame.exe is
called. Scratch one annoying "feature". =)