Subject: Re: OT quick question about drive letters

Re: OT quick question about drive letters

From: Brian Wolven <>
Date: 2005-11-30

Jerry Van Baren wrote:
> C_no_C wrote:
>> hi there,
>> I found it under computer management and disc management but I am not
>> sure if the drive letter I chose will hold on other systems or only
>> this one. Any one have an idea?
> Yes & No.
> Yes, I have an idea. No, it won't hold on other systems.

AS I recall, this ability (to have a USB drive always map to the same
user-configured drive letter) depends on the USB device implementing the
protocol correctly; there's some sort of unique identifier involved, sort of
like a MAC address. This does work fine for the Archos Recorder, but it's
possible you may come across a device which does not support it at some point.

Assignment of a particular drive letter to a particular USB device must be done
independently on every computer, as others have pointed out. There is no "drive
letter" info actually stored on the USB device, just an ID->drive letter mapping
that your PC will remember.