Subject: Re: .LNK FILES IN ROCKBOX

Re: .LNK FILES IN ROCKBOX

From: Stephan Seitz <nur-ab-sal_at_gmx.de>
Date: 2005-12-07

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 07:11:48PM +0100, Jens Arnold wrote:
>(3) Supporting any other file system than VFAT is considered
>overkill, since we have to support VFAT anyway. The only
>possible exception is HFS support for the iPod port, imho

Hm, I disagree with "overkill".
There are players using hard disks resulting in a lot of disk space.
Together with the USB interface you may want to use your player to
transfer data (instead of only listening to music). I run at several
occasions at the 4GB limit of vfat, letting me jump through ropes to
split tar archives.

The other reason *has* to do with playing music: As a linux only user,
many oggs of mine have characters which are not valid in vfat (or even
ntfs), but perfectly valid in ext2, reiser or other modern filesystems.
So I can't even simply copy my music from my linux box to the player but
have to change filenames (what means I can't simply sync both
repositories).

I don't mean that rockbox should support journaling filesystems like ext3
or reiserfs, but ext2 support I think is a valid wish.
At least for me, it wouldn't even need write support, because I use my
iRiver only for playing not for recording.

Shade and sweet water!

        Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz                    E-Mail: Nur-Ab-Sal@gmx.de |