Subject: Re: wma playback on h300

Re: wma playback on h300

From: victor rajewski <askvictor_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2005-12-09

> *I was wondering why rockbox could not be made to support WMA with DRM
> protection Koddex?
>
> I've got some great audio books that are in this format and would love to
> here them on my rockbox.

Well, legal reasons basically. WMA is a closed format; implementing
infringe patents and all that. Implementing the DRM would probably be
worse. You have two options: illegally convert your media to another
format (use Virtual Audio Cable or some such thing) , or illegally try
to reverse engineer the codec into an integer-based implementation.

DRM Sucks. Stay away from it.