Subject: Re: A Dead h140

Re: A Dead h140

From: Neon John <>
Date: 2005-12-14

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 18:23:30 +0100, Thom Johansen <>

>Jonathan Mosen wrote:
>> My dilemma is that I would like to do a clean Rockbox installation, but
>> now can't because the machine appears to be locking up immediately at
>> power on. I thought I remember reading somewhere that you could hold
>> the record button down to get back to the original Iriver firmware but
>> this doesn't seem to be working for me. Is there any magic key sequence
>> that will get me into some position where I can fix this, as right now
>> I'm scared I've destroyed the machine.
>You can boot to the original iRiver firmware by ensuring that the unit
>is turned off, then keeping the record (lower left one) pressed while
>you switch the unit on.
>Another thing worth trying is inserting the USB cable, then switching
>the unit on. The Rockbox bootloader should then enter USB mode and let
>you access it via your computer. If this does not work, something
>is seriously wrong.
>Hope you get it going again!

Another thing to look at is windows plug'n'pray. Often when a USB
P'n'P auto-dectect goes wrong, windows installs a dummy driver. This
driver must be deleted before the device will install.

Look in Control panel -> system -> hardware -> device manager. The
dummy driver usually installs under "universal serial bus controllers"
but sometimes with a disk drive, it installs under "disk drives". It
is called "dummy device" or something like that. Simply delete that
device, plug your unit in and let it P'n'P normally.

John De Armond
Cleveland, Occupied TN
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.-Ralph Waldo Emerson