I hate to ask questions on lists that make me look like a total prat,
but here goes. I could not gather from your mail to the
list announcing the installer whether or not I can install Rockbox for
the H340 at this stage or if it will be included down the track. I have
the utility on the pc but am at work at the moment and dont have the
IRiver here so have not had the chance to test things properly. I am a
blind pc user
and whilst the installation process for the utility works fine once I
fire up the application for the first time and get the two option
buttons for installation
and uninstall those buttons dont seem to have any text associated with
the button. My screen reader just says "please choose an option
I enter my navigation mode I can see the two bits of text for install
and uninstall but it is not seeing any buttons in this mode. I found
was which through trial and error and have managed to label the buttons
through one of jaws functions but it might be something you want to
I have never put any versions of Rockbox on my H340 to date so am just
wondering if using the utility I can update the firmware and install
rockbox so that
my unit will start talking to me?
If you have any further ideas or pointers I am more than willing to give
it a shot.
Thanks for all your hard work and trust me it is greatly appreciated.
Cheers for now
From: email@example.com [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
On Behalf Of Christi Alice Scarborough
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2005 11:18 AM
To: Rockbox development; email@example.com
Subject: Announcing the Rockbox Utility
I've been beavering away for the past few weeks, and I'm happy to say
that I'm finally in a state where I'm ready to show the fruits of my
efforts to others.
The Rockbox Utility is a new installer for Rockbox. Don't we already
have one of those, I hear you cry? Yes, but Rockbox Utility is much
better. Here's why:
- Only download the installer once. It then grabs Rockbox from the
- No need to download lots of files you don't need for other platforms
- Support for installing daily builds and bleeding edge builds in
addition to released versions of Rockbox.
- Uninstall info is stored on your audio device. You can uninstall from
a completely different computer to the one you installed on.
- A full uninstall for when you're sending your device back under
- Since it works from the zip files made by the build system, changes to
Rockbox are much less likely to break it.
- Support for Rockbox platforms like iRiver, for which no release
version of Rockbox is available.
Also, it lays the groundwork for many cool things in the future:
- Rockbox Utility is written in wxWidgets, a portable GUI library. This
means that a Linux version and hopefully also a Mac version will be on
the way soon.
- The installer will be able to support multiple languages.
- Other functions like patching and downloading firmware, downloading
voice files and database generation can be incorporated into the
- Automatic update features. Rockbox Utility will eventually be able to
support new platforms as and when they become available by downloading
an updated configuration file.
Naturally you are all dying to give it a try, but a few words of warning
This is ALPHA software. This means I've tried it, and I'm happy it
works, but do expect a few rough edges, and the possibility of data
Please give me feedback on any problems you experience - this will help
to make the program more reliable.
You can download Rockbox Utility for Windows from
Hope you like it,
Received on Mon Dec 19 10:27:06 2005