Subject: Rockbox ID3V2 Tags out-of-spec (was: OT: Tag purists)

Rockbox ID3V2 Tags out-of-spec (was: OT: Tag purists)

From: Bluechip <csbluechip_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2006-01-02

>>So my thought on the matter is now this: As the spec allows for APpended
>>tags; And as this would resolve what appears to be the worlds major gripe
>>about ID3V2 ...Why don't any of the tag editors (that I have tested, and
>>there were many many of them) implement this feature?
>
>I'm slightly puzzled by this too. I also wonder why so few ID3V2 aware
>programs have implemented the 2.4 standard at all. We had to revert to
>generating 2.3 tags in the Rockbox recorded files because so few
>applications could understand the 2.4 tags.

:O

I'm still quite pleased to find a way to tag my files easily, quickly and
comprehensively.

Also just noticed that the Rockbox tags are out of spec.

http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0.txt

3.3. ID3v2 frame overview

    As the tag consists of a tag header and a tag body with one or more
    frames, all the frames consists of a frame header followed by one or
    more fields containing the actual information. The layout of the
    frame header:

"one or more frames" ...Rockbox ID3V2.3 tags contain zero frames. May I
suggest:

   TENC
    The 'Encoded by' frame contains the name of the person or
    organisation that encoded the audio file.

And insert the Rockbox version string?

BC