Subject: Re: Some H340 impressions

Re: Some H340 impressions

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_rockbox.org>
Date: 2006-01-04

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, Jonathan Corbet wrote:

> - If I plug in the USB cable, then start the unit, it reports
> "Bootloader USB mode," but the host system sees no device. If,
> instead, I plug in the cable after the unit boots, USB mode works
> fine.

This is not yet supported by the bootloader. The next update has been
mentioned to hopefully support this.

> - The delay in navigating between directories can be significant - and
> aggravating if you hit buttons repeatedly while waiting. I've not yet
> messed with the directory cache options which are said to mitigate
> that - it's on my list. Meanwhile, a simple "busy" indication would
> make the whole thing friendlier.

The dircache should make a huge difference, but I agree about the "busy"
request nonetheless since there will always be people who don't use the dir
cache...

> - It's ugly; the screens are apparently designed for a device with a
> smaller screen, and a monochrome screen at that. I assume some of
> this can be fixed up with some iRiver-specific images and .wps files.

They _are_ designed for such devices. Work is in progress on adding more
colorful and otherwise better using the larger LCD screen.

> - I've not done any serious controlled study, but it seems that it

This has been noted and mentioned by many others too. I don't think anyone is
actually knowing exactly why yet, so this is definately an area to work on.