Subject: Re: (O/T) H340 error "Over Current"

Re: (O/T) H340 error "Over Current"

From: Andrew 'ashridah' Pilley <>
Date: 2006-01-16

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 11:44 +0000, Mike Holden wrote:
> Basically, I am trying to attach an external USB device, but I get the
> message "Over Current! Remove Device And Press Stop". This happens with
> various devices, including camera, archos FM recorder, usb disk
> enclosure, usb card reader.
> It even happens without a device attached, just the cable.

I assume you've actually tried replacing the cable, right?
A short from vcc -> ground in the cable would cause these symptoms, I
daresay. Also check the socket for stray wires or other suspicious
things that're creating a short when the cable's inserted.

(Forgive me if it sounds like I'm stating the obvious to you, btw)

Other options are that one of the other devices is faulty, in such a way
that it permanently breaks the H340 such that this happens when it tries
to enable itself... (seems unlikely, really, since the socket has
overcurrent protection in the first place.)