Subject: Re: Digital radio, many cuestions

Re: Digital radio, many cuestions

From: Jens Arnold <arnold-j_at_t-online.de>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 01:42:01 +0100

On 17.01.2006, Manuel Dejonghe wrote:

> On 1/17/06, Kaiet Estrada Gamarra
> <kaiet.estrada.gamarra_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> When is the analogical radio put off? I Understand in the
>> next year analogical radios will be dead. Will We have mute
>> Fm reciver in the future?

>> Why Am is not suported in many mp3 reproducers? I understand
>> Fm is
>> better, but some radios only can be ear in Am, like foreing
>> exterior
>> radios.

> please don't take this as an offense, but I'd just wanted to
> say that your english is hard to understand sometimes. It's
> good that you are describing the problems in multiple
> sentenses, so one can get an overall view of it.

> I don't think analog radio will be shut down on a determined
> day like the analog terrestial television broadcasting may be,
> because many radio stations are "smaller" and are doing the
> broadcasting on their own and for a much smaller group of
> persons.

Afaik there's a fixed plan to shutdown both terrestrial analog
radio and TV replacing it by digital broadcasting in (at least)
the whole EU until 2010.

> The reasons why AM-receivers are not beeing build into
> mp3-devices are the other type of antenna (it's not that easy
> to "misuse" the earphones cable as antenna) and the popularity
> of fm-stations. FM has the big advantages of stereo and a
> better sound quality. The fact that AM-stations do not have to

Additionally, AM is technically more susceptible to
interference.

In such a 'digitally polluted' electronic environment as an MP3
player, it would take a lot of shielding & filtering to get
good AM reception.

Regards, Jens