Subject: MP3 Fixer Util - RELEASE

MP3 Fixer Util - RELEASE

From: Bluechip <csbluechip_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 08:51:00 +0000

Hey Rockboxers,

As many of you will know ...Recordings made with Rockbox contain "known"
errors such as:
# Corrupt Audio Frames
# Bad/Incomplete Xing headers
# Stray bit errors

In the process of writing my personal MP3 util I decided to write it such
that I can fix these errors quickly and easily.

Download the simple util from the Cyborg Systems FTP space using this link:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cyborgsystems/rockbox/cs_aedit_0100_beta.zip

The zip is only 122K and includes source code.
The source code is respectable, but this is an ongoing project so please
don't expect _perfect_ layout and commenting.

The util is a command line program. So it should be portable to pretty
much any O/S.
Simply use /h or /? to get full help on all the various features.
The file "Version.h" contains useful documentation should you need to look
deeper ...Such as Exit codes, todo list, etc.

In this beta version, there is currently no way to DISable VBRFix
...so ALL files will be given a NEW Xing header.

The util knows how to detect Rockbox recordings and will automatically fix
any "stray bit errors" ..."NEO MP3" users will need to enable stray bit
hunting with the /hunt switch.

I have yet to find a way to repair corrupt START frames, if you have any
ideas, feel free to share them to be included in the next version of the util.

The great news is that corrupt END frames CAN be recovered now with
/mpar:<x> [MPegAudioRecovery].
If your MP3 file has a corrupt END frame (very common), the .log file will
tell you what value is suitable for <x> and what the chances are of a
successful recovery.

All features by members of this list here have been included (such as
specify output directory, include vbrfix'er, etc). Now is a good time to
suggest further ideas.

The util has a l-o-n-g journey ahead of it, and I'm sure there will be many
people to thank en route - for now may I thank the Rockbox Devs who have
helped me with obscure knowledge, testing, *example files*, feature
requests, etc.

The util is free (as in free) - however, if you do make modifications and
enhancements to it, it would be great to hear from you.

Enjoy!

BlueChip, Cyborg Systems
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cyborgsystems/