Subject: Re: Question About Flashing

Re: Question About Flashing

From: <joerch.net_at_web.de>
Date: 2006-01-20

Hi You,

>I will be receiving an Archos unit shortly and would like to flash Rockbox
>onto it as I am blind and need the voice prompts to access my unit.

First of all: you don't need to flash your box to use the voicepromts.
Just copy the files from the archive at

http://www.rockbox.org/download/

 to your jukebox root. It will create a file in the root (the firmware) and an additional ".rockbox" directory, which is neccessary. When the system boots, it sees an Firmware "update" in the root and will load it. Rockbox is running. To hear it babbling you have to download additional voice files from

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/VoiceFiles.

Just extract them to the /.rockbox/lang/ directory.

If you load for instance "deutsch.lng" (just navigate to it in your box and press "play") it searches the deutsch.voice and starts babbling.

>once Rockbox is flashed, can I then delete everything from my root
>drive (i.e. the rockbox folder) and have no reprocutions? Including the
>voice file?

No. The .rockbox folder will still be needed, only the the ajbrec.ajz in the root maybe, but this is not recommended.

read this:

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/BlindFlashing

>Also, I'd like to know whether I can format my newly-received unit and not
>mess up the player. For example, are there certain system folders that you
>aren't supposed to delete (not including the Rockbox folders)? What I mean
>is, I want to format the unit so it's new and fresh, and THEN install
>Rockbox.

You can format the hdd or delete all, also hidden (windoze) folders, the unit will still boot from ROM with the original firmware. Then install rockbox.

Joerch

Erweitern Sie FreeMail zu einem noch leistungsstarkeren E-Mail-Postfach!