Subject: Re: Question About Flashing

Re: Question About Flashing

From: Manuel Dejonghe <manuel_at_dejonghe.de>
Date: 2006-01-20

On 1/20/06, Grant Hardy <granthardy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I will be receiving an Archos unit shortly and would like to flash Rockbox
> onto it as I am blind and need the voice prompts to access my unit. I want
> to know, once Rockbox is flashed, can I then delete everything from my root
> drive (i.e. the rockbox folder) and have no reprocutions? Including the
> voice file?
>
> Also, I'd like to know whether I can format my newly-received unit and not
> mess up the player. For example, are there certain system folders that you
> aren't supposed to delete (not including the Rockbox folders)? What I mean
> is, I want to format the unit so it's new and fresh, and THEN install
> Rockbox.

Hi,

when formatting, there is only the problem, that WindowsXP will not
let you format big drives in the correct File System.
A tool called Swissknife has repeatedly reported to do the job
correctly. It can be found on the tools page in the wiki.
The partition you want the music to be stored in has to be the first
primary partition, formatted as FAT32.

After formatting, you can easily install rockbox.

Flashing however is not directly related to the voiceBox, the speaking
menus feature. You can enable voice without flashing the device (some
devices are not flashable) and you can flash your device without
having the voice.
In both cases, you absolutely need to keep the ".rockbox" directory on
your device.
The .rockbox-directory contains, besides the voice-file you already
supposed a lot of other useful things without them rockbox cannot run.

As long as you did not flash your device, removing the rockbox-files
(the directory and the "boot file" where the name is depending on your
exact device type) will get you back to the old archos stock firmware.

regards, lImbus