Subject: Re: WAV Codec for Archos

Re: WAV Codec for Archos

From: Neon John <jgd_at_johngsbbq.com>
Date: 2006-01-24

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 07:37:56 +0100 (MET), "Christoph Niedeggen"
<Niedeggen@gmx.net> wrote:

>Hi Bluechip,
>
>As I've written above, I am really interested in a WAV / PCM codec for
>the Archos version of Rockbox, especially for being able to do high
>quality recordings.
>
>In normal MP3 recordings (even using the highest quality settings)
>frequencies above about 15.500 Hz are simply cut off. With WAV
>recordings, it should be possible to record up to 22.100 or 24.000 Hz
>(using sampling rates of 44.100 or 48.000 Hz respectively.)

I'm afraid this is wistful thinking and to a great extent, polishing a
turd. You're proposing to do surgery with a battleaxe. A WAV Codec
will not solve the basic flaws in the JBR that degrade recordings. The
major problem is, of course, hard drive whine. It's there regardless
of the source of audio. About the only way I can think of to get rid
of this whine is to use the digital input with an external A/D.

The electronics are relatively noisy compared to even the better PC
sound cards. Nothing a Codec will affect.

I bet battery life will be really lousy with the main processor having
to do the Codec math instead of having the DSP do it.

I just can't see the benefits of this effort compared to other
features and projects that need attention.

If you want to do high quality recording in a compact package, it's
hard to beat a higher end MD recorder. That's what many of the pros
use and what I use when I need high quality field recordings.

John

---
John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.-Ralph Waldo Emerson