Subject: Re: WAV Codec for Archos

Re: WAV Codec for Archos

From: Christoph Niedeggen <Niedeggen_at_gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 22:00:11 +0100

> If you want to do high quality recording in a compact package, it's
> hard to beat a higher end MD recorder. That's what many of the pros
> use and what I use when I need high quality field recordings.

A MD recorder has some disadvantages:

- The recording time is limited to 80 minutes (afaik)
- The recordings have to be read digitally into a computer by using a
SPDIF-Interface, which is rather slow (takes as long as the recording
itself). Only higher end (expensive) MD recorders do have a digital output.
- I don't own a MD recorder. :)

I use a Jukebox Recorder with some self made SPDIF-A-D-converter for
doing recordings. The advantages are:

- The recording time is just limited by harddisc space (i.e. many hours
in one go) and battery life (about 8 hours). This is very handy when you
want to set up and start a recording and then leave it unattended for a
while.
- Reading recordings into a computer is very fast (USB2). Normal MP3
recording can be read in at about 500 times real time (a 1 hour
recording in about 7 seconds!) A WAV recording (more data) would still
be read in at about 50 times real time (a 1 hour recording in about 1
Minute!)