Subject: Re: WAV Codec for Archos

Re: WAV Codec for Archos

From: Ronald Teune <>
Date: 2006-01-26

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 12:00:30 +0100, <> wrote:

> I still hold my hopes higher than others for a basic speech-synth to
> avoid building all those voice clips - No, it would
> not be as slick as a 2Gb install of <synthname here> but if it works for
> Stephen Hawkins...

Hm, the Amiga with its 512 kb of ram and 7.14 MHz 68000 could do very
understandable speech synthesis back in 1987 or so with its
narrator.device and translator.library drivers. There is even an open
source phonetic translator available:
With wav playback + record within reach, there can be much more

> ...How about adding "DJ Scripts" ... LOL ... "DJ-Shuffle-Mode back with
> you after that <genre> music. Bringing you next
> it!" LOL ...sorry, I am amused easily
> Mixed stereo sound effects for plugins/games about some "blind
> games" - from what I could tell from my previous
> research, they are mainly based on stereo positioning and reflex.
> Although in fairness you can do stereo mixing of, for
> example, sound effects over backing music in a game with Stereo-MP3
> files already.
> I wonder how easy it would be to pick out the 'fundamental' from a WAV
> and write a Guitar Tuner

The following might help on this one:
But I share your undermentioned ideas about time... :-/

> How about .tap files ...I always wanted to travel back in time and say
> "in this box I have every 'speccy' game ever written"
> ...and show the dir listing Heck, on the higher model machines I
> would be amazed if a full 4Mhz Z80 emulator were not
> possible!?

My 99 Motorola MPX200 smartphone with 120 MHz ARM cpu can do smooth
gameboy emulation, smooth ScummVM, near-smooth NES emulation, hardly
playable C64 emulation... so it should be possible.