Subject: Re: Voices

Re: Voices

From: Neon John <jgd_at_johngsbbq.com>
Date: 2006-01-29

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 14:56:11 -0800, "Grant Hardy"
<granthardy@gmail.com> wrote:

>What do you mean by "outsiders"?

People like lawyers :-)

>Also, can anyone else contribute their own voices - I was hoping one person
>per At&T voice could contribute the file.

Way back in the dark ages during the telephone deregulation, I
designed a long distance operator-assisted switch around a network of
PCs (screaming 16mhz 386 Compaqs at $3500 a pop!) I needed all the
usual voice prompts. I hired a female DJ to read my scripts into the
digitizer I'd set up in a PC. I think I paid her $50 for the session.
We used the radio station's voice-over box (soundproof studio about
the size of a phone booth) and microphone and got superb quality
prompts.

That might be the way to resolve this voice problem once and for all.
Find someone with voice training to read all the prompts, one right
after another, and split them up with a sound editor. Might not even
have to pay him/her.

John

---
John De Armond