Rockbox.org home
release
dev builds
extras
themes manual
wiki
device status forums
mailing lists
IRC bugs
patches
dev guide



Rockbox mail archive

Subject: RE: rockbox Digest, Vol 5, Issue 71

RE: rockbox Digest, Vol 5, Issue 71

From: Alex Gibbons <alex_at_gibbons81.fsnet.co.uk>
Date: 2006-01-29

Hi there, I am a blind user, and a bit of a novice towards how to set the
roxbox software up, can somebody out there send me a dummies outline of how
to set it up on either a ipod or one of the new archaos players. That would
be great

Thanks very much

From

Alex gibbons

alex@gibbons81.fsnet.co.uk

-----Original Message-----
From: rockbox-bounces@cool.haxx.se [mailto:rockbox-bounces@cool.haxx.se] On
Behalf Of rockbox-request@cool.haxx.se
Sent: 28 January 2006 23:33
To: rockbox@cool.haxx.se
Subject: rockbox Digest, Vol 5, Issue 71

Send rockbox mailing list submissions to
        rockbox@cool.haxx.se

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
        http://cool.haxx.se/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rockbox
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
        rockbox-request@cool.haxx.se

You can reach the person managing the list at
        rockbox-owner@cool.haxx.se

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of rockbox digest..."

Today's Topics:

   1. Voices (Grant Hardy)
   2. Re: Voices (David Wright)
   3. Re: Voices (Grant Hardy)
   4. Gentlemen, we have SOUND! (part 4) (Dave Chapman)
   5. Re: Voices (Neon John)
   6. Re: Gentlemen, we have SOUND! (part 4) (Manuel Dejonghe)
   7. Re: Gentlemen, we have SOUND! (part 4) (Bluechip)
   8. Re: WAV Codec for Archos (Bluechip)
   9. Re: Voices (Grant Hardy)
  10. Re: Question re Archos Jukebox 6000 (Harald Milz)
  11. Re: Question re Archos Jukebox 6000 (Harald Milz)
  12. Re: Gentlemen, we have SOUND! (part 4) (Sharon)
  13. Re: Gentlemen, we have SOUND! (part 4) (Grant Hardy)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 13:22:22 -0800
From: "Grant Hardy" <granthardy@gmail.com>
Subject: Voices
To: "Rockbox" <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
Message-ID: <003c01c62450$efad8d70$6500a8c0@GrantHardy>
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
        reply-type=response

Well guys, I have the Crystal voice. I'm sure others have different voices.

Why not just share them?

Grant

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 15:30:56 -0600
From: "David Wright" <gymnastdave@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Voices
To: "Rockbox" <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
Message-ID: <001b01c62452$1fd68af0$6401a8c0@YOURF2BB931F71>
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
        reply-type=response

no kidding
I don't know what the problem is. I also have a licensed copy of the att
software.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Grant Hardy" <granthardy@gmail.com>
To: "Rockbox" <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2006 3:22 PM
Subject: Voices

> Well guys, I have the Crystal voice. I'm sure others have different
> voices. Why not just share them?
>
> Grant

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 13:42:01 -0800
From: "Grant Hardy" <granthardy@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Voices
To: "Rockbox" <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
Message-ID: <006601c62453$adf83c10$6500a8c0@GrantHardy>
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
        reply-type=response

Well, I don't use their software, but I figure since lots of us have already

downloaded the Rockbox voices we may as well share them with everyone. If
the moderators agree to this we could post links to the files from
www.yousendit.net or www.megaupload.com or a similar service on the list for

others to download.
----- Original Message -----
From: "David Wright" <gymnastdave@sbcglobal.net>
To: "Rockbox" <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2006 1:30 PM
Subject: Re: Voices

> no kidding
> I don't know what the problem is. I also have a licensed copy of the att
> software.
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Grant Hardy" <granthardy@gmail.com>
> To: "Rockbox" <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
> Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2006 3:22 PM
> Subject: Voices
>
>
>> Well guys, I have the Crystal voice. I'm sure others have different
>> voices. Why not just share them?
>>
>> Grant
>

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 22:18:02 +0000
From: Dave Chapman <dave@dchapman.com>
Subject: Gentlemen, we have SOUND! (part 4)
To: Rockbox development <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
Message-ID: <43DBED9A.50305@dchapman.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

First it was the Archos Jukebox...
then the iRiver H1x0...
then the iRiver H3x0...

...and to continue the tradition of Rockbox ports, I'm happy to announce
that the Rockbox port to the iPod Nano and iPod 4G Color/Photo has
reached the stage of audio playback.

MP3, Ogg Vorbis, Wavpack, AC3, wav and even 128kbps AAC are all working
well (i.e. realtime), FLAC has some memory alignment bugs to fix (but
should easily be realtime) and ALAC is the only codec which struggles.

Keep on Rocking!!!!

Dave.

------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 17:22:37 -0500
From: Neon John <jgd@johngsbbq.com>
Subject: Re: Voices
To: Rockbox <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
Message-ID: <sgrnt1p5p8t8gnd0jbqi7re62vcjlisjis@4ax.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 13:42:01 -0800, "Grant Hardy"
<granthardy@gmail.com> wrote:

>Well, I don't use their software, but I figure since lots of us have
already
>downloaded the Rockbox voices we may as well share them with everyone. If
>the moderators agree to this we could post links to the files from
>www.yousendit.net or www.megaupload.com or a similar service on the list
for
>others to download.

Send me a copy and I'll put them on my web site in a deep link that
isn't visible to outsiders. A link can be put in the docs if desired.
I have plenty of web space and the site'll be around for a long time.

I can handle up to 8mb via email. After that yousendit.com.

John

---
John De Armond
See my website for my current email address
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.-Ralph Waldo Emerson
------------------------------
Message: 6
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 23:31:42 +0100
From: Manuel Dejonghe <manuel@dejonghe.de>
Subject: Re: Gentlemen, we have SOUND! (part 4)
To: Rockbox <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
Message-ID:
	<9e4313e10601281431o25070866l165d522e59179ea8@mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
On 1/28/06, Dave Chapman <dave@dchapman.com> wrote:
> First it was the Archos Jukebox...
> then the iRiver H1x0...
> then the iRiver H3x0...
>
> ...and to continue the tradition of Rockbox ports, I'm happy to announce
> that the Rockbox port to the iPod Nano and iPod 4G Color/Photo has
> reached the stage of audio playback.
>
> MP3, Ogg Vorbis, Wavpack, AC3, wav and even 128kbps AAC are all working
> well (i.e. realtime), FLAC has some memory alignment bugs to fix (but
> should easily be realtime) and ALAC is the only codec which struggles.
>
> Keep on Rocking!!!!
>
> Dave.
>
congratulations.
don't forget to specify the track which you tested (hint: Machinae
Supremacy)
lImbus
------------------------------
Message: 7
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 22:32:43 +0000
From: Bluechip <csbluechip@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Gentlemen, we have SOUND! (part 4)
To: Rockbox <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
Message-ID: <6.1.2.0.2.20060128223054.082faeb0@pop.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed
CONGRATULATIONS
>First it was the Archos Jukebox...
>then the iRiver H1x0...
>then the iRiver H3x0...
>
>...and to continue the tradition of Rockbox ports, I'm happy to announce
>that the Rockbox port to the iPod Nano and iPod 4G Color/Photo has
>reached the stage of audio playback.
>
>MP3, Ogg Vorbis, Wavpack, AC3, wav and even 128kbps AAC are all working
>well (i.e. realtime), FLAC has some memory alignment bugs to fix (but
>should easily be realtime) and ALAC is the only codec which struggles.
>
>Keep on Rocking!!!!
>
>Dave.
------------------------------
Message: 8
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 22:34:10 +0000
From: Bluechip <csbluechip@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: WAV Codec for Archos
To: Rockbox <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
Message-ID: <6.1.2.0.2.20060128223256.085322d0@pop.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed
>I was technically baffled that *grayscale* video playback is possible on a 
>simple b&w screen and how it's achieved.
flash the pixels very fast :)
BC 
------------------------------
Message: 9
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 14:56:11 -0800
From: "Grant Hardy" <granthardy@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Voices
To: "Rockbox" <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
Message-ID: <014301c6245e$0b667e70$6500a8c0@GrantHardy>
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
	reply-type=original
What do you mean by "outsiders"?
Also, can anyone else contribute their own voices - I was hoping one person 
per At&T voice could contribute the file.
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Neon John" <jgd@johngsbbq.com>
To: "Rockbox" <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2006 2:22 PM
Subject: Re: Voices
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 13:42:01 -0800, "Grant Hardy"
> <granthardy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Well, I don't use their software, but I figure since lots of us have 
>>already
>>downloaded the Rockbox voices we may as well share them with everyone.  If
>>the moderators agree to this we could post links to the files from
>>www.yousendit.net or www.megaupload.com or a similar service on the list 
>>for
>>others to download.
>
> Send me a copy and I'll put them on my web site in a deep link that
> isn't visible to outsiders.  A link can be put in the docs if desired.
> I have plenty of web space and the site'll be around for a long time.
>
> I can handle up to 8mb via email.  After that yousendit.com.
>
> John
>
> ---
> John De Armond
> See my website for my current email address
> http://www.johngsbbq.com
> Cleveland, Occupied TN
> A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.-Ralph Waldo 
> Emerson 
------------------------------
Message: 10
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 22:53:35 +0000 (UTC)
From: Harald Milz <hm@seneca.muc.de>
Subject: Re: Question re Archos Jukebox 6000
To: rockbox@cool.haxx.se
Message-ID: <20060128225335.99350134AB9@seneca.muc.de>
Jens Arnold <arnold-j@t-online.de> wrote:
> Yes it is. All archos models with USB1.1 (Archos 5000/6000,
> Studio 10, 20 and Recorder v1 6, 10 and 15) require a driver
> since they are not fully USB mass storage compatible.
This is not true for Linux. My Recorder 10 works with usb-storage like
a charm.
-- 
"The last time somebody said, `I find I can write much better with a
word processor.', I replied, `They used to say the same thing about
drugs.'
		-- Roy Blount, Jr.
------------------------------
Message: 11
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 22:55:37 +0000 (UTC)
From: Harald Milz <hm@seneca.muc.de>
Subject: Re: Question re Archos Jukebox 6000
To: rockbox@cool.haxx.se
Message-ID: <20060128225537.6D698134AB9@seneca.muc.de>
Gene and Princess <kb7uen5893@comcast.net> wrote:
> How do I get off this list?  I went to the Rockbox mailing list link
> and tried to unsubscribe and it says it failed.
Read the List-Unsubscribe: header of your own mail. ;-) 
-- 
"I hate it when my foot falls asleep during the day cause that means
it's going to be up all night."
		-- Steven Wright
------------------------------
Message: 12
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 16:05:53 -0700
From: Sharon <sharon25@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Gentlemen, we have SOUND! (part 4)
To: Rockbox <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
Message-ID: <a05100300c001a5e790c1@[192.168.1.160]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" ; format="flowed"
Wow, that was fast! You development people are awesome! Sharon
>First it was the Archos Jukebox...
>then the iRiver H1x0...
>then the iRiver H3x0...
>
>...and to continue the tradition of Rockbox ports, I'm happy to announce
>that the Rockbox port to the iPod Nano and iPod 4G Color/Photo has
>reached the stage of audio playback.
>
>MP3, Ogg Vorbis, Wavpack, AC3, wav and even 128kbps AAC are all working
>well (i.e. realtime), FLAC has some memory alignment bugs to fix (but
>should easily be realtime) and ALAC is the only codec which struggles.
>
>Keep on Rocking!!!!
>
>Dave.
------------------------------
Message: 13
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 15:28:38 -0800
From: "Grant Hardy" <granthardy@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Gentlemen, we have SOUND! (part 4)
To: "Rockbox" <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
Message-ID: <016201c62462$94e18380$6500a8c0@GrantHardy>
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
	reply-type=response
WOW, are voice files supported too?
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Sharon" <sharon25@cox.net>
To: "Rockbox" <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2006 3:05 PM
Subject: Re: Gentlemen, we have SOUND! (part 4)
> Wow, that was fast! You development people are awesome! Sharon
> 
>>First it was the Archos Jukebox...
>>then the iRiver H1x0...
>>then the iRiver H3x0...
>>
>>...and to continue the tradition of Rockbox ports, I'm happy to announce
>>that the Rockbox port to the iPod Nano and iPod 4G Color/Photo has
>>reached the stage of audio playback.
>>
>>MP3, Ogg Vorbis, Wavpack, AC3, wav and even 128kbps AAC are all working
>>well (i.e. realtime), FLAC has some memory alignment bugs to fix (but
>>should easily be realtime) and ALAC is the only codec which struggles.
>>
>>Keep on Rocking!!!!
>>
>>Dave.
>
------------------------------
_______________________________________________
rockbox mailing list
rockbox@cool.haxx.se
http://cool.haxx.se/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rockbox
End of rockbox Digest, Vol 5, Issue 71
**************************************
Received on Sun Jan 29 01:43:12 2006

Page was last modified "Jan 10 2012" The Rockbox Crew
aaa