Translations

Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Re: Voices

Re: Voices

From: Neon John <jgd_at_johngsbbq.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 01:15:04 -0500

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 00:04:48 +0000, Christi Alice Scarborough
<christi_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>Actually the killer is editing down the recording to seperate vice
>files. I prefer to do a minimum of three takes of each phrase so I can
>pick the best one. This then has to be manually picked out from the
>recording and saved to a long filename. It's a highly repetative and
>boring task. And then the things that need voicing change so often that
>they quickly beome out of date.
>
>I'd be willing to do an up to date recording with my now much better
>recording equipment if someone else were willing to take my raw sound
>file and turn it into a voice file. Even reading five hundred odd
>phrases into a mic is not an insignificant amount of effort.

I don't think I'd want to take on the whole project if the list is
that large, especially since I don't use or have any interest in voice
files but I'd be willing to do some, maybe a third. Perhaps 2-3 other
volunteers could come forward and we could divide up the project.

Breaking a stream into individual files and removing the quiet time
would not be difficult. There are several utilities that will do
that, especially if you left 2-3 seconds of quiet between each phrase.
What's left? Normalizing the level, maybe a little dynamic range
compression, probably. Converting to the correct file names. What
else.

John
---
John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.-Ralph Waldo Emerson