Subject: RE: Voices

RE: Voices

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_rockbox.org>
Date: 2006-01-30

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, rob powell wrote:

> Do we still have a problem if we buy the AT&T voices from next-up.com? also
> I know Ken White who runs next-up.com, who I think distribute the voices in
> the US, would it help if I got in touch with him about this?

I think the license would be the same. We need someone to sponsor this for us
if should be able to provide the voices.

Wizzard Software gave us a quote of 2800 USD the first year and then
1500/year. And even then they say we may "stream" the sounds to our users as
the users aren't allowed to redistribute the voices either...

I find it insanely expensive and the license extremely limiting. I firmly
believe that the AT&T road has been completely closed for us.