Subject: Re: CS DevKit (was: UI simulator for windows)

Re: CS DevKit (was: UI simulator for windows)

From: Bluechip <csbluechip_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2006-02-11

Bulk Reply...

@Daniel,

>>>we consider the DevKit to be deprecated
>>
>>Who is/are "we"? In what way is The DevKit outdated?
>
>"we" as in we who get to face the daily stream of questions from
>users who get build failures when using it (on IRC and in the forums).

Feel free to offload the questions in my direction, perhaps long term
solutions will present themselves.

>It doesn't keep up with the changes so it frequently is unable to
>build Rockbox or the simulators, where a plain cygwin installation
>doesn't show these problems. Like with SDL right now.

To receive streams of questions on a daily basis, surely The DevKit
must be offering something that people want!? Even Cygwin has to be
updated from time-to-time.

>We also frown upon the scripts it encourages people to use. Things
>like 'rbconf' and similar make it really hard for users to
>understand what they're doing and for devs to understand the users.

"rbconf" is an alias for "../tools/configure"

If there are any others that you need to know about, please
ask. There are also docs in the root directory of the DevKit. Let
me know if I've missed anything.

>This, in combination with the recently offered packages for cygwin
>offered on rockbox.org, makes it a lot better for people to go the
>cygwin route once and for all rather than face repeated problems
>with the devkit.

Problems should NOT be repeating themselves. They should be fixed!

@Linus...

>http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/CygwinDevelopment

Try as I might I cannot get the specified list of packages to be the
only ones highlighted :(

>While you're at it, consider adding gdb to the package.

Yes. I have considered it many times. I just wonder how many DevKit
users would want, need or possibly even know how to use it.

>I have to agree with you on the installer. However, I can't really
>see the benefit of having to re-download and re-install your "lean
>and mean" kit when something is changed in Rockbox, as opposed to
>doing one "proper" install once and for all.

Time.
click ...10MB download ...click ...setup.bat ...click ...bash prompt

Drive Space.
70MB (after install*) -vs- 300+MB**

Configuration:
tailored 'ls' colour scheme for rockbox
many handy rockbox-specific shortcuts
shell setup to interface with windows nicely (Eg. Ins==Paste; <- and
-> move the cursor, etc.)
etc.

*I plan to make this considerably smaller by adding the option to UPX
the files after install ...UPXing them before compression makes the
package BIGGER!

** dont recall the exact figure and I just erased my installation to
try and get an install setup as per the wiki

>Your kit my be small, but since you need to download the entire kit
>to update it, you will eventually end up downloading more than the
>actual cygwin installation would.

Again, I can but agree at one level ...A couple of times I have made
trivial updates (with major impact) and had to release the whole darn
thing again. :(

I have considered doing either base_install+update1+update2... and
also latest_version along with upgrade_pack. But the idea behind The
DevKit is "KISS".

I am happy to consider options, but until a good all-rounder
arrives. I think the weigh-off is fair. Is 10MB of bandwidth really
worth the trade off of complicating the install procedure?

@Joerch:

>in the folder were the devkit 3.14 is located. So you can choose
>simulator->win32->SDL and will get no SDL related errors.

I'm getting some /tmp/CONFTEST-??? not found error in the configure
script ...it doesn't look SDL related, but I would prefer to see a
clean build on the next version of The DevKit before I release it.

>It works for me, but still no sound, I am missing something?
>Bluechip? Can you hear me?

LOL

I have yet to get a clean build (or more accurately 'configure')
under a full cygwin install (in the last couple of days), I will be
able to say more once things are running smoothly there.

>I wish I had used the "real" cygwin from the beginning and had to
>learn and u how it works (../tools/configure) and such cryptic stuff.

If you want to add the shortcuts to save typing/sanity/time ...it's
quite simple to put them into any cygwin install. If you desire that
knowledge, let me know and I'll dig out all the relevant stuff.

BlueChip