Subject: Ratings

Ratings

From: Brent Coutts <c0utta_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2006-02-20

Hi guys,

All my ID3 tags are rated on a scale of 0 Ė 255 using the Popularimeter tag
(POPM) although for practical purposes the ratings are 0 (not rated), 51
(1), 102 (2), 153 (3), 204 (4), 255 (5). I then use a VB application to read
the ID3ís and create a playlist which creates 1 Ė 5 entries for MP3 in the
playlist. A rating 1 will appear once, and a rating 5 will appear 5 times.
This works well and allows me to listen to songs I like more often than
those I donít.

Since I may have multiple entries per MP3, Iíve now hit the 20000 barrier in
playlists and I was wondering if there was any other way to achieve my ends
Ė i.e. my higher rating songs get played more often.

Iíve done enough maths at Uni to understand the Mersenne Twister, but I
canít see that this can be modified to have one entry per MP3 but allow the
rating to influence the frequency Ė sort of defeats the purpose of the whole
concept of the Twister anyway.

Will I chew up too much memory if I run my own build of Rockbox and increase
the maximum playlist size to 50000 ? Are there any other ways that people
can think of?

Cheers,

c0utta

Ever wanted to be a TV Stylist? Win Your Dream Job at MyCareer
http://dreamjob.mycareer.com.au/?s_cid=213322