Subject: Re: Any sound enhancements on rockbox?

Re: Any sound enhancements on rockbox?

From: Andrew 'ashridah' Pilley <ashridah_at_netspace.net.au>
Date: 2006-02-24

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 09:44 +0100, ERG wrote:
> Something like bass boost, SRS, WOW,...

SRS/WOW are patented or something by a third party. Without paying them
a large chunk of money, it'd probably be very difficult to get a license
to use it, and even WITH the money, it'd be impossible to GPL it, which
is a requirement.

> A I told on a previous message I like SRS WOW quite a lot.
>
> I am really sorry, but I haven't had many free time to browse through all
> rockbox functions (manual, device).

The current development of rockbox has added a 5 band parametric
equalizer, which may suit you well, as well as cross-feeding (feeding a
muted, delayed version of the left channel into the right channel, and
vice versa, to simulate stereo speakers while using earphones).
Other DSP effects are possible, where they aren't patented, but
commercial effects are probably out of rockbox's reach at this point.
Rockbox also supports far more audio codecs than iriver's stock
firmware, although it doesn't support WMA currently (and will likely
never support *protected* WMA)

> I will have a exaustive look soon (this weekend, maybe).

The firmware can dual-boot with iriver's firmware, so playing with it is
possible, and worst comes to worst, if you reflash your unit with an
unmodified firmware, rockbox will no longer boot.

Andrew