Subject: Re: Any sound enhancements on rockbox?

Re: Any sound enhancements on rockbox?

From: Dave Chapman <dave_at_dchapman.com>
Date: 2006-02-24

Thom Johansen wrote:
> Are you absolutely certain that a fee is payed per hardware unit
> and not per application? I think MP3 licenses are valid per hardware
> unit, but I don't think this necessarily means all licenses work like
> that. Would be truly wonderful if that was the case, though.

And the fact that it is patented should mean that there is a publically
available description of the algorithm filed with the wonderful US
patent office....

But we probably don't want to go down that road. Even if the patent
license could be applied to Rockbox on iriver devices, it wouldn't apply
to Rockbox on other targets.

Dave.