Subject: RE: Archos HD Upgrade

RE: Archos HD Upgrade

From: Ed Toro <cojonesdetoro_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2006-03-06

I believe the older Archos players all use standard 3.5 laptop drives. I
have an Archos 6000 and upgraded to 20GB and then 40GB drive with no
problems. You merely have to format the drive with a FAT32 filesystem.
Windows XP will not format a FAT32 partition larger than 32GB because of an
artificially imposed limitation so you may need to get a 3rd party tool or a
Windows98 machine to format larger drives. There may be some optimizations
to be gained if manipulate cluster sizes and such but I did not bother with
that. I used a Linux based tool to format the drive from a USB drive
adapter.