Subject: Re: Archos HD Upgrade

Re: Archos HD Upgrade

From: Neon John <jgd_at_johngsbbq.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 20:21:12 -0500

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 15:22:33 -0500, Vincent Mistretta
<vin5451_at_bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Any limitations to disk capacity on the Archos using RB 2.5? Do I need to upgrade anything else on the unit besides the HD? I realize most of the larger drives have 8MB Cache so I assume I have to use the 8mb version of the Archos RB.

There is a 120gb limit imposed by the USB bridge chip. Other than
that, any 2.5" drive will work. You'll want to find the slowest,
lowest power consumption drive that you can. I have a 100gb 4200 rpm
Toshiba drive in my JBR and love it. Much longer battery life than
with the original drive.

Any 2.5" EIDE drive will work. No need to upgrade the memory. The
cache doesn't do anything in this environment.

The upgrade process is thus:

Format and load the drive external to the JBR if you can to save time.

Pop the 4 torx screws and lift off the bumpers and back cover.

Lift up the old drive and pull it out.

Insert the new drive and lay it in place.

Put the covers and screws back on.

Fire it up and enjoy.

With a power screwdriver I can do it faster than I can describe it. I
use a $30 external USB2-to-EIDE adapter that I got from New Egg to
format new drives and load them with rockbox and music. The adapter
is faster than the internal USB bridge plus you can transfer your
files directly from the old drive if you have two USB2 ports or a good
hub.

While you have the cover off, take a look at the power jack. I have
several JBRs and have found a couple with the jack misplaced so that
one side is jacked up off the board a little. This is mechanically
weak and will result in a rapid solder joint failure and intermittent
charging.

If your jack is canted, take some needle nose pliers, insert one tang
in the jack, put the other on the PCB and GENTLY squeeze while
touching the 3 solder pins with a hot iron. Make sure the tang on the
PCB doesn't end up on one of the solder pads. Move the iron rapidly
between the pads so that all three are molten at the same time. The
jack will snap into place. Optionally drizzle a little thin superglue
between the jack and board to further secure it.

John
---
John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.-Ralph Waldo Emerson