Subject: work around for voice UI crash after recording screen

work around for voice UI crash after recording screen

From: James Teh <>
Date: 2006-03-07

Hi all,

A few weeks ago, I noted that if the voice UI is enabled and one exits
the recording screen without having made a recording, the voice UI will
die and possibly cause a crash. There is a simple work around for this
bug which I just tested. Simply enable prerecording; you need only set
it to 1 second if you don't actually want much prerecording to occur.

Devs: Any possibility of just always doing a talk_buffer_steal() on the
recording screen? It seems that talking is not possible on the recording
screen anyway, and whenever talk_buffer_steal() is called (i.e.
prerecording or when record is pressed), the voice UI crash does not
occur after exiting the recording screen. Anyway, this work around works
for now, so if such a work around is a dirty hack which does not solve
the root cause, no matter.

James Teh
MSN Messenger:
Yahoo: jcs_teh