Subject: Re: Archos HD Upgrade

Re: Archos HD Upgrade

From: Dominik Riebeling <dominik.riebeling_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2006-03-07

On 3/7/06, Daniel Stenberg <daniel@rockbox.org> wrote:
> Allow me to add to the confusion! ;-)

Me too ;-)

I just want to mention the binary prefixes by IEC standards.
Unfortunately these aren't commonly know. 1 kB = 1000 B and 1 kiB =
1024 B.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix#IEC_standard_prefixes

> 137GB is the amount of data if one gigabyte is 1000,000,000 bytes. If a
> gigabyte is 1024*1024*1024 bytes as in the computer world outside the silly
> harddrive manufacturers, the limit is 128GB.

It's not only the silly HDD manufacturers (137GB would be correct) but
also various silly operating systems like windows who think 1 GB =
1024 kB. And lots of computer people who haven't noticed the
not-really-new SI prefixes. Speaking with the standardized naming, the
mentioned disk would be 137 GB or 128 GiB.

HTH (this time clearing the confusion ;-)
- Dominik