Subject: battery discharging wierdness & charging questions

battery discharging wierdness & charging questions

From: victor rajewski <askvictor_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 22:33:42 +1100

Over the last couple of days I have observed the following pattern
with my H300 rockbox: plays fine for my morning train ride (about 1
hour), but when I start it up for the return trip in the evening, it
complains the battery is empty and refuses to boot up. This is despite
not using it in the meantime. Did not suffer this problem at all last
week, and the unit is about a year old, so the end of the battery's
life seems unlikely. So I have two conjectures: one is that it is not
shutting down properly. Will try to investigate this tomorrow, and
possible causes.
The other is that the battery meter is out of whack. I'm not sure if
this applies to all Li-ion battery systems, but I was under the
impression that it was good to give such batteries a decent discharge
every month or so in order to re-calibrate the battery meter. I
haven't discharged mine for a while, and indeed was finding it
difficult to work out how to discharge it, as it seems it will shut
down when the perceived battery level gets to a certain point.
Apologies if my understanding of this is wrong.

The other thing; does rockbox charge from usb if the battery is
drained beyond startup voltage? I think I had some success holding the
record button down while plugging the usb cord in - this went into the
original firmware's usb charge mode occasionally. Would this be a
useful feature to have in the rockbox firmware?