Subject: Re: battery discharging wierdness & charging questions

Re: battery discharging wierdness & charging questions

From: Dave Hooper <dave_at_beermex.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 22:20:06 -0000

Actually I think I observed this too, on H120. I've seen this twice -- I
think -- it's hard to tell. But only after upgrading to v6 boot code.
Both times the H120 had about half battery capacity before I switched it off
(long hold on Stop..). When I came back to my player several hours later it
would not turn on. After fully charging, and turning on, the player resumed
from a completely different track than the one I had previously been
playing. So I surmise either

1. The H120 didn't actually shut down properly and somehow kept playing
silently to itself until the battery ran down
2. The H120 didn't shut down properly and failed to write the resume
information, and the battery ran down in some kind of zombie
not-quite-switched-off state (although didn't keep playing silently to
itself)
3. The H120 didn't shut down properly (and the battery drained), and
somehow the resume information got corrupted either during this failed shut
down or during the subsequent start up
4. Some 'joker' turned my player on, picked a random track out of my
collection, and left it playing on my desk without me (or anyone else)
noticing.

Unfortunately I cannot rule out 4) but this has happened, twice, in two
different locations! :-) So I think 4 is unlikely.

Which of the other three this might be, I cannot say. But this has only
happened since I upgraded to the v6 boot. Which might be correlation, or
causality, or coincidence. Don't know which.