Subject: Re: Archos HD Upgrade

Re: Archos HD Upgrade

From: Jürgen Hestermann <juergen.hestermann_at_gmx.de>
Date: 2006-03-08

> You know that 1 megabyte is "technically" 1 million bytes; and that the 'correct' name for 1048576 bytes is "mebibyte"?
> Honestly. So to quote a hard drive capacity as 20 Gigabytes meaning 20 x 10^9 bytes is actually completely correct; whereas 2^30
> bytes is a "gibibyte".
> See this wikipedia article for more info, if you don't believe me!
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiB

I knew about that. This was introduced when the confusion started.
But what I wanted to say is that most people don't know that the
name 'mebibyte' exists and therefore still use megabyte when they
actually mean mebibyte. That leads to a whole lot of confusion.
It would be much better if *noone* uses the basis 2 notations
anymore and *always* refers to decimal prefixes and basis 10 notation.
Please use kilo, mega, giga etc. but be also aware that you mean
thousand, million, billion bytes with it. If you want to say 1024 bytes
then say 1024 bytes or 1.024 kilobytes.
Hopefully this confusion will vanish some day then.

Jürgen Hestermann.