Subject: SPDIF digital out on JBRV2?

SPDIF digital out on JBRV2?

From: <sfsprs-audio_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 15:06:55 -0800 (PST)

I have an Archos Recorder V2 (JBRV2), and I can't seem to get digital
SPDIF output. I want to know if anyone has gotten this to work.
Here's what I know:

The paper owner's manual that I received with it says it has it... in
the specs it lists "Audio: Stereo Digital Line In/Out..." and on the
Connections page the picture has a label "Analog line-in & digital I/O"
which is described in the text as "Digital In/Out connection: Use this
to record from any digital signal source (SPDIF)"

I want to use the digital connection to play the JBRV2 through my home
stereo system. I have the special Archos cable with the 4-conductor
3.5mm plug and three RCAs. None of the RCAs seem to give a signal when
connected to either my audio alchemy DAC or when connected to my HK
ADP303 surround processor. I also tried a generic cord with a 3.5mm
stereo plug and red and white RCAs. No signal with that as well. I
tried both cables and all RCAs in both of the plugs on the JBRV2. I
tried with the Rockbox software uninstalled, didn't help.

The FAQ at

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/ArchosFAQ#What_should_I_know_about_digital

mentions that the sampling rate might be an issue... during playback of
my music (all ripped from CDs) it says 44.1Khz on the LCD, which is the
same as CD encoding so I don't think that is the issue.

The device chart at:

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/DeviceChart

says that the V2 Recorder only has SPDIF In. So I'm wondering if
anyone can confirm that or deny that the JBRV2 has no SPDIF out
ability.

And if anyone can recommend a good cheap mp3 player with SPDIF out,
please do. It looks like the old Jukebox Recorder 20 GB might be the
way to go.