Subject: Re: Changing the batteries on my Archos

Re: Changing the batteries on my Archos

From: Manuel Dejonghe <manuel_at_dejonghe.de>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 21:42:41 +0100

On 3/13/06, Grant Hardy <granthardy_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone know the easiest way to change the batteries on my Archos V1 as
> a blind user? Thanks.

Hi Grant,

it's pretty easy. The rockbox battery faq (Q5) does not describe the
procedure, but the text there says the archos faq does. so i'm going
to paste both answers here:

Rockbox-Part:
A5: It is not very hard - the Archos manual and the FAQ on their web
site describe how to do it. Their technical support confirmed that
replacing the batteries with NiMH cells (of different capacities) will
not void the warranty. Just don't remove the screws.

The big blue bumpers on the Recorder and Player don't make the process
very easy. Also some have warned not to push the batteries too hard
inside the bumpers or the springs will become compressed and lose
contact. The design isn't as easy as most consumer products, but
luckily, with 8 hrs or so of runtime from the default firmware, the
batteries won't need changing out that much. I have only changed
batteries out once on a long trip when I didn't bring a car charger.

Some units have been shipped with two sets of batteries, my Recorder
20 only had one set. Someone actually had Archos send him new
batteries free of charge after they had worn out, under the warranty.
End of Rockbox-Part.

Archos-Part:
Refer to the user manual to identify the battery covers. There are two
curve-shaped plastics battery covers. They are located on each side of
the display face plate. The battery covers on the Jukebox can be
removed by inserting a small screwdriver into the small rectangular
holes at the top of the battery covers along the edge between the
cover itself and the center faceplate.
End of Archos Part.

~lImbus