Subject: Re: iriver strange problems continue

Re: iriver strange problems continue

From: Dave Hooper <dave_at_beermex.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:47:14 -0000

The "noise" made as though it were writing to disk is more likely to be
"reading from disk", since the player needs to read the audio data from the
disk in order to play it. Reading and Writing sound identical.
Alternatively, the "noise" you mentioned could be indicative of a fault with
the hard drive. Did you try Scandisk when your iriver is plugged into your
PC?
The fact that the iriver firmware loads instead of the rockbox firmware
suggests that the rockbox files might be corrupted on your harddrive. Try
reinstalling the latest rockbox build onto your player (i.e. just unzip the
latest rockbox.zip into the root directory of your iriver - you don't
need to re-patch your firmware)

What model of iriver do you have? I'm not intimately familiar with which
firmware versions belong to which hardware models..