Subject: Re: rockbox Digest, Vol 7, Issue 39

Re: rockbox Digest, Vol 7, Issue 39

From: James Teh <jamie_at_jantrid.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 03:00:35 +1000

Hi Alex,

You must understand that Rockbox completely replaces the software on
your Ipod. It is a completely different operating system, and as such,
although it uses the Ipod hardware, it cannot use the Ipod software.
Rockbox does not currently support video, wma, DRM protected files,
etc., and as far as I understand it, none of these are likely in the
near future (DRM protected files will probably never happen). I can't
stress this enough: once Rockbox is running, it completely replaces the
software on your player. It is not simply a wrapper around the existing
software, so it won't allow you to have the menus for your player's
firmware spoken. Rockbox's voice UI is not like a screen reader which
can be separated and read the menus of your player; it is a part of Rockbox and will only read
Rockbox.

Jamie

--
James Teh