Subject: Re: 320kbps MP3 'noisy'

Re: 320kbps MP3 'noisy'

From: Neon John <>
Date: 2006-03-21

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 23:29:58 +0100, Ronald Teune <>

>FYI, I have about twenty 320 kbps mp3's (encoded just after I got my recorder
>v1 - I thought, now that I have plenty of space, why not encode them at the

Why not? Battery life. The higher the bitrate, the more frequently
the RAM buffer empties and the more frequently the hard drive has to
spin up. Viola! Shorter battery life.

For me, 128k is a good compromise between sound quality and battery
life. 32k for audio books. 16k isn't bad but the high frequency
ringing that LAME introduces is unpleasant. I downsample to the JBR
and keep the original higher bitrate files on my server.

John De Armond
Cleveland, Occupied TN
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.-Ralph Waldo Emerson