Subject: Successful hard disk upgrade to Archos Recorder

Successful hard disk upgrade to Archos Recorder

From: Clive Freeman <clivemeister_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 11:36:45 +0000

Just thought you might like to know that I was inspired by recent posts on
this mailing list: I already own an iHP-140 that I've loaded Rockbox onto,
but I wanted an MP3 player for the car with EVERYTHING on it, and the 140
was just about full.

So I bought an Archos Recorder on eBay for £70, together with a 120GB laptop
drive. I went for a Fujitsu MHV2120AT laptop drive, which cost me £109 from
www.misco.co.uk. When the drive and the Archos arrived, I followed the
straightforward instructions on the rockbox site, and 20 minutes later, I
had a 120GB Archos!

I needed to format it as FAT32, which isn't possible directly through
Windows XP (not for volumes of this size - the limit is 32GB or something).
I found that a copy of Partition Magic 8 I had loaded would allow me to
format FAT32 for any drive size, so I used that and successfully formatted
the drive. Only took about 30 minutes, even formatting it through the USB
connection with the drive was installed in the Archos.

Once I'd done this, I loaded up rockbox, booted my new Archos 120GB, plugged
it into my archiving machine, and downloaded ALL my mp3s onto it - about
60GB.

Final step is to use one of the scripts to build mp3.name files for all the
directories, as I find the speech menus very helpful when I'm driving - I
can navigate around the directories without taking my eyes off the road.

So now I've got an mp3 player with voice menus, plenty of room to spare, and
twice the capacity of the latest iPod, with replacable batteries and the
best open-source operating system on the planet, all thanks to you folks out
there - you should be proud!