Rockbox.org home
release
dev builds
extras
themes manual
wiki
device status forums
mailing lists
IRC bugs
patches
dev guide



Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Re: rockbox Digest, Vol 7, Issue 43

Re: rockbox Digest, Vol 7, Issue 43

From: CB <cnoc_at_wi.rr.com>
Date: 2006-03-21

Another satisfied customer. The thing is that Rockbox is free and 100 times
better then any of the firmwares it replaces. If you want to watch your
videos, just boot into the Apple firmware and there you go. Please don't
come down on the devs who do this for free. If it was not for them, I would
be stuck using an inaccessible player.

C

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex Gibbons" <alex@gibbons81.fsnet.co.uk>
To: <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 5:22 PM
Subject: RE: rockbox Digest, Vol 7, Issue 43

> Hi there
>
> Yes I can understand that you have helped a lot of people with your
> developments in software for blind and parshley sighted users, but the
> idea
> that we can hust symplie turn off the firmweare and go back to the ipod
> firmweare is laughfull, the trackwheel on the ipod is over sensitive, and
> with one faulse move a blind user could wipe out his whole playlists which
> have taken months to put together. Why is rock box not using a form of
> platform like apple osx or windows for the codding so that we blind or
> arshley sighted user can take full advantage of there ipod videos. We want
> to be able to have as much fun with our ipods as you sighted users. The
> second thing that really get my goat is this angle that you say that rock
> box is also for sighted users, but do you know anyone who is sighted who
> uses it most people who are sighted would just go out and buy an ipod or
> other mp3 players. It is us specal coumity who need a methord of using our
> mp3s because of our sight issues
>
> From
>
> Alex gibbons
>
> alex@gibbons81.fsnet.co.uk
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: rockbox-bounces@cool.haxx.se [mailto:rockbox-bounces@cool.haxx.se]
> On
> Behalf Of rockbox-request@cool.haxx.se
> Sent: 20 March 2006 22:14
> To: rockbox@cool.haxx.se
> Subject: rockbox Digest, Vol 7, Issue 43
>
> Send rockbox mailing list submissions to
> rockbox@cool.haxx.se
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> http://cool.haxx.se/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rockbox
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> rockbox-request@cool.haxx.se
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> rockbox-owner@cool.haxx.se
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of rockbox digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. Re: rockbox Digest, Vol 7, Issue 39 (Rocker)
> 2. Re: iRiver h320 and h340 (Rocker)
> 3. Re: rockbox Digest, Vol 7, Issue 39 (Michael E. DiFebbo)
> 4. Re: rockbox Digest, Vol 7, Issue 39 (James Teh)
> 5. RE: rockbox Digest, Vol 7, Issue 39 (Barrett, Don)
> 6. Re: Problem with iRiver H300 (Rainer Jost)
> 7. Question about play FM in Stereo on my iRiver H340 (Rainer Jost)
> 8. RE: rockbox Digest, Vol 7, Issue 39 (Barrett, Don)
> 9. Re: A Devcon 2006 Story (Christoph Niedeggen)
> 10. Please Clarify (Barrett, Don)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:16:58 -0700
> From: Rocker <rocker@shaw.ca>
> Subject: Re: rockbox Digest, Vol 7, Issue 39
> To: Rockbox <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
> Message-ID: <007101c64c42$188bb780$344f9444@kbab2711313c64>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
>
> Hi,
>
> Rockbox is for everyone who desires a superior firmware on their MP3
> players. The fact that it has some voice capability benefits the blind
> but
> it also benefits the sighted as well. Blind people are pumped up because
> hardware and software solutions targeted for the blind are vastly more
> expensive and usually don't offer the features that rockbox provides.
> Just
> the same for the sighted as well.
>
> rocker
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Barrett, Don" <Don.Barrett@ed.gov>
> To: "Rockbox" <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
> Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 10:09 AM
> Subject: RE: rockbox Digest, Vol 7, Issue 39
>
>
> This brings up the question that I was asked. Is the Rockbox project
> for the blind or is it for everyone and the blind just happen to also
> benefit. The individual who asked me thought that Rockbox was primarily
> established to assist the blind MP3 player user, but I didn't think that
> was the case.
>
>
> Don Barrett
> Section 508 Coordinator
> U.S. Department of Education
> (202)-205-8245
> don.barrett@ed.gov
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: rockbox-bounces@cool.haxx.se [mailto:rockbox-bounces@cool.haxx.se]
> On Behalf Of Michael E. DiFebbo
> Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 12:02 PM
> To: Rockbox
> Subject: Re: rockbox Digest, Vol 7, Issue 39
>
> Alex Gibbons wrote:
>> hi there
>>
>> thanks to everone who answeed my question, but I have a further
>> question what is the point of having the software on the ipod video
>> when it does not play video, I am a parshely sighted person who wants
>> to be able to take full
>>
> If you want to watch video, you can simply boot to the iPod firmware.
> The point of having Rockbox on the iPod is that it is vastly superior to
> the iPod firmware with respect to playing audio. It also allows you to
> use the iPod as a UMS device without being tied to iTunes.
>
> As to the fact that Rockbox doesn't support video on the iPod, be
> patient. Preglow and Linuxstb have worked pretty damn hard getting
> Rockbox ported to iPod in the first place. You can't expect everything
> at once.
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:24:12 -0700
> From: Rocker <rocker@shaw.ca>
> Subject: Re: iRiver h320 and h340
> To: Rockbox <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
> Message-ID: <007501c64c43$1b35fa80$344f9444@kbab2711313c64>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
>
> Hi,
> How long ago did you buy? can't seem to find either on the sight. Do you
> have a direct URL?
>
> Cheers...rocker
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "brian_dalton" <brian_dalton@eircom.net>
> To: "Rockbox" <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
> Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 7:31 AM
> Subject: Re: iRiver h320 and h340
>
>
> Hi,
>
> I baught my iriver h340 from
> www.advancedmp3players.co.uk
>
> i live outside the uk and they charged me five pounds for delivery.
>
> Brian.
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Tore Johnny Br?tveit" <tjb@broadpark.no>
> To: <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
> Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 9:46 PM
> Subject: iRiver h320 and h340
>
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Sorry for this somewhat off topic message. I came across Rockbox on the
> net a
>> couple of days ago, after having heard about a mp3 player, fully
> accessible for
>> visually impaired people. It turned out that the player, Milestone 311
> mp3,
>> was overpriced and lacked several of the basic features, so I began
> searching
>> around for alternatives.
>>
>> Rockbox seems like a great project. My problem now is that it seems like
> many
>> of the mp3 players which Rockbox supports, are no longer available.
>>
>> Especially I would like to get hold of one or two iRiver 3xx players, but
> they
>> are not possible to get anymore here in Norway. Could anyone please give
> me
>> some directions to where I still can buy these players?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Tore Johnny
>>
>>
>> --
>> Tore Johnny Br?tveit
>> E-post/E-mail: tjb@broadpark.no
>> Hjemmeside/Homepage: www.braatveit.net
>>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 12:28:08 -0500
> From: "Michael E. DiFebbo" <medifebbo@rcn.com>
> Subject: Re: rockbox Digest, Vol 7, Issue 39
> To: Rockbox <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
> Message-ID: <441EE628.8020303@rcn.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> There is a FAQ for blind users that is somewhat dated, but at least
> touches on answers to some of your questions:
> http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/BlindFAQ. I would
> characterize Rockbox's accessibility to the blind as a significant goal
> of the project, though not the only goal. As the FAQ indicates, "The
> Rockbox team are justifiably proud of Rockbox's role in making ... the
> vast majority of its features accessible to the blind ..."
>
> Barrett, Don wrote:
>> This brings up the question that I was asked. Is the Rockbox project
>> for the blind or is it for everyone and the blind just happen to also
>> benefit. The individual who asked me thought that Rockbox was primarily
>> established to assist the blind MP3 player user, but I didn't think that
>> was the case.
>>
>>
>> Don Barrett
>> Section 508 Coordinator
>> U.S. Department of Education
>> (202)-205-8245
>> don.barrett@ed.gov
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: rockbox-bounces@cool.haxx.se [mailto:rockbox-bounces@cool.haxx.se]
>> On Behalf Of Michael E. DiFebbo
>> Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 12:02 PM
>> To: Rockbox
>> Subject: Re: rockbox Digest, Vol 7, Issue 39
>>
>> Alex Gibbons wrote:
>>
>>> hi there
>>>
>>> thanks to everone who answeed my question, but I have a further
>>> question what is the point of having the software on the ipod video
>>> when it does not play video, I am a parshely sighted person who wants
>>> to be able to take full
>>>
>>>
>> If you want to watch video, you can simply boot to the iPod firmware.
>> The point of having Rockbox on the iPod is that it is vastly superior to
>> the iPod firmware with respect to playing audio. It also allows you to
>> use the iPod as a UMS device without being tied to iTunes.
>>
>> As to the fact that Rockbox doesn't support video on the iPod, be
>> patient. Preglow and Linuxstb have worked pretty damn hard getting
>> Rockbox ported to iPod in the first place. You can't expect everything
>> at once.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 04:23:20 +1000
> From: James Teh <jamie@jantrid.net>
> Subject: Re: rockbox Digest, Vol 7, Issue 39
> To: Rockbox <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
> Message-ID: <20060320182319.GA23036@edenia.qld.optushome.com.au>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> The latter - the Rockbox project is for everyone and the blind just
> happened
> to
> benefit thanks to some very nice developers. :)
>
> Jamie
>
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 12:09:33PM -0500, Barrett, Don wrote:
>> This brings up the question that I was asked. Is the Rockbox project
>> for the blind or is it for everyone and the blind just happen to also
>> benefit. The individual who asked me thought that Rockbox was primarily
>> established to assist the blind MP3 player user, but I didn't think that
>> was the case.
>>
>>
>> Don Barrett
>> Section 508 Coordinator
>> U.S. Department of Education
>> (202)-205-8245
>> don.barrett@ed.gov
>
> --
> James Teh
> Email: jamie@jantrid.net
> WWW: http://www.jantrid.net/jamie/
> MSN Messenger: jamie@jantrid.net
> Jabber: jteh@jabber.org
> Yahoo: jcs_teh
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 13:35:17 -0500
> From: "Barrett, Don" <Don.Barrett@ed.gov>
> Subject: RE: rockbox Digest, Vol 7, Issue 39
> To: "Rockbox" <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
> Message-ID:
> <4313AD4429551F4595A8A414A660C75F079E18FB@wdcrobe2m05.ed.gov>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Yes, very, very nice!!!!!!!!
>
>
> Don Barrett
> Section 508 Coordinator
> U.S. Department of Education
> (202)-205-8245
> don.barrett@ed.gov
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: rockbox-bounces@cool.haxx.se [mailto:rockbox-bounces@cool.haxx.se]
> On Behalf Of James Teh
> Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 1:23 PM
> To: Rockbox
> Subject: Re: rockbox Digest, Vol 7, Issue 39
>
> The latter - the Rockbox project is for everyone and the blind just
> happened to benefit thanks to some very nice developers. :)
>
> Jamie
>
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 12:09:33PM -0500, Barrett, Don wrote:
>> This brings up the question that I was asked. Is the Rockbox project
>> for the blind or is it for everyone and the blind just happen to also
>> benefit. The individual who asked me thought that Rockbox was
>> primarily established to assist the blind MP3 player user, but I
>> didn't think that was the case.
>>
>>
>> Don Barrett
>> Section 508 Coordinator
>> U.S. Department of Education
>> (202)-205-8245
>> don.barrett@ed.gov
>
> --
> James Teh
> Email: jamie@jantrid.net
> WWW: http://www.jantrid.net/jamie/
> MSN Messenger: jamie@jantrid.net
> Jabber: jteh@jabber.org
> Yahoo: jcs_teh
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 20:03:09 +0100
> From: "Rainer Jost" <rainer-jost@t-online.de>
> Subject: Re: Problem with iRiver H300
> To: "Rockbox" <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
> Message-ID: <015701c64c50$eddd3630$2002a8c0@Computerzimmer>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
> reply-type=original
>
> Hi Jamie,
> it is off.
> Thanks for Your help.
> Rainer
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 20:05:46 +0100
> From: "Rainer Jost" <rainer-jost@t-online.de>
> Subject: Question about play FM in Stereo on my iRiver H340
> To: "Rockbox" <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
> Message-ID: <016701c64c51$4d985a50$2002a8c0@Computerzimmer>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
> reply-type=original
>
> Hi guys,
> my iRiver H340 is only playing in mono. What can I do to hear FM in
> stereo.
> Thanks for Your help
> Rainer
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 14:45:45 -0500
> From: "Barrett, Don" <Don.Barrett@ed.gov>
> Subject: RE: rockbox Digest, Vol 7, Issue 39
> To: "Rockbox" <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
> Message-ID:
> <4313AD4429551F4595A8A414A660C75F079E1902@wdcrobe2m05.ed.gov>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Thanks Mike; very helpful.
>
>
> Don Barrett
> Section 508 Coordinator
> U.S. Department of Education
> (202)-205-8245
> don.barrett@ed.gov
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: rockbox-bounces@cool.haxx.se [mailto:rockbox-bounces@cool.haxx.se]
> On Behalf Of Michael E. DiFebbo
> Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 12:28 PM
> To: Rockbox
> Subject: Re: rockbox Digest, Vol 7, Issue 39
>
> There is a FAQ for blind users that is somewhat dated, but at least
> touches on answers to some of your questions:
> http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/BlindFAQ. I would
> characterize Rockbox's accessibility to the blind as a significant goal
> of the project, though not the only goal. As the FAQ indicates, "The
> Rockbox team are justifiably proud of Rockbox's role in making ... the
> vast majority of its features accessible to the blind ..."
>
> Barrett, Don wrote:
>> This brings up the question that I was asked. Is the Rockbox project
>> for the blind or is it for everyone and the blind just happen to also
>> benefit. The individual who asked me thought that Rockbox was
>> primarily established to assist the blind MP3 player user, but I
>> didn't think that was the case.
>>
>>
>> Don Barrett
>> Section 508 Coordinator
>> U.S. Department of Education
>> (202)-205-8245
>> don.barrett@ed.gov
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: rockbox-bounces@cool.haxx.se
>> [mailto:rockbox-bounces@cool.haxx.se]
>> On Behalf Of Michael E. DiFebbo
>> Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 12:02 PM
>> To: Rockbox
>> Subject: Re: rockbox Digest, Vol 7, Issue 39
>>
>> Alex Gibbons wrote:
>>
>>> hi there
>>>
>>> thanks to everone who answeed my question, but I have a further
>>> question what is the point of having the software on the ipod video
>>> when it does not play video, I am a parshely sighted person who wants
>
>>> to be able to take full
>>>
>>>
>> If you want to watch video, you can simply boot to the iPod firmware.
>
>> The point of having Rockbox on the iPod is that it is vastly superior
>> to the iPod firmware with respect to playing audio. It also allows
>> you to use the iPod as a UMS device without being tied to iTunes.
>>
>> As to the fact that Rockbox doesn't support video on the iPod, be
>> patient. Preglow and Linuxstb have worked pretty damn hard getting
>> Rockbox ported to iPod in the first place. You can't expect
>> everything at once.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 9
> Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 22:58:41 +0100
> From: Christoph Niedeggen <Niedeggen@gmx.net>
> Subject: Re: A Devcon 2006 Story
> To: rockbox@cool.haxx.se
> Cc: rockbox-dev@cool.haxx.se
> Message-ID: <dvn8hh$576$1@sea.gmane.org>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> Hi Devcon participants,
>
> it's nice to hear that you had a great time at the Devcon 2006! At least
> we could watch this event on the webcam (and see what we missed!)
>
> Daniel wrote that you might do some kind of summary of all the talks of
> the agenda items and publish it. That would be really interesting to
> read to the rest of us!!
>
>> we also managed to discuss and deal with _all_ items on the agenda, and
>> most of them with a great and at least in my view satisfactory outcome.
>
> I'm especially interested in the first topic on the agenda for the
> Archos: "PCM codec, recording framewalker, perhaps playback framewalker,
> late bitswap"
>
> What's the outcome for this? Can we hope for an implementation of the
> PCM codec in the next future?
>
> Thanks for your effort and commitment,
> Christoph
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 10
> Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:14:04 -0500
> From: "Barrett, Don" <Don.Barrett@ed.gov>
> Subject: Please Clarify
> To: "Rockbox" <rockbox@cool.haxx.se>
> Message-ID:
> <4313AD4429551F4595A8A414A660C75F079E1908@wdcrobe2m05.ed.gov>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> One of the installation steps for the Ipod and Rockbox says as follows:
>
> "To install (or upgrade) Rockbox you need to attach your iPod to your PC
> via USB, ensure that iTunes is set up to allow you to access your ipod
> as a disk,
> and then unzip rockbox.zip to the top-level (root) folder on your iPod."
>
> Being a blind guy, I didn't install Itunes, but instead attached the USB
> cable to the Ipod and went into disk mode. This allowed the computer to
> see the Ipod as a disk drive and also then allowed me to use Winzip to
> unzip the Rockbox software to the Ipod's main folder. Did I cause a
> problem by doing it this way? In other words, is this ok or is Itunes
> required to make it unzip properly as implied by the instructions.
>
> Thanks for answering.
>
> Don
>
>
> Don Barrett
> Section 508 Coordinator
> U.S. Department of Education
> (202)-205-8245
> don.barrett@ed.gov
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> rockbox mailing list
> rockbox@cool.haxx.se
> http://cool.haxx.se/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/rockbox
>
>
> End of rockbox Digest, Vol 7, Issue 43
> **************************************
>
>
> __________ NOD32 1.1452 (20060320) Information __________
>
> This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
> http://www.eset.com
>
>
Received on Tue Mar 21 15:18:02 2006


Page was last modified "Jan 10 2012" The Rockbox Crew
aaa