Subject: 32Gb NAND flash 'disk replacement' from samsung

32Gb NAND flash 'disk replacement' from samsung

From: George Michaelson <ggm_at_apnic.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:12:50 -0600

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/03/21/32gb_ssd_samsung/

If this has IDE compatible interfacing, since its a 1.5" form factor it
might well be interesting to see it fill the space of a real HDD.

"...Pure performance is only half the story of a SSD; the drive's light
weight (15g), noiseless operation and a reduced power consumption may be even more important in most mobile applications. Samsung says that the Flash disk consumes only 0.1W when not in use and just 0.5W under load. For comparison, a typical mobile hard drive consumes somewhere between 1W and 2W of power in seek, read and write processes and between 0.2W and 0.8W when idle. Samsung may be a bit optimistic that the SSD uses just 5% of the electricity needed to power a hard disk drive, but it is clear that SSD will provide a substantial additional amount of battery time in mobile devices. In a common model that assumes that a hard drive consumes about 10-20% of the battery power, the SSD could add about 20-40 minutes of operating time in a notebook that runs about 4 hours on one battery charge. ..."

Wow. 1/4 of the powerdrain. I think in a JBR, we'd get a lot more than
20-40 minutes extra battery time.

it wont help me: I went to a 60Gb disk. but for somebody who has a 20Gb
JBR, this is a rather interesting upgrade path... (if the IDE is there)

-George