Subject: Re: 320kbps MP3 'noisy'

Re: 320kbps MP3 'noisy'

From: Bluechip <csbluechip_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 08:35:31 +0000

> > Sorry, missed the start of the thread ...If you have an Archos
> > (MAS35x7) then be aware that it simply cannot play some files as I
> > discovered when I was making test tone files - maybe you've just hit
> > on a weird file ?
> >
> > BC
>
>do you have a test-tone file instance? It would be simple to test, and
>avoids the IPR issues of sharing MP3s of music.
>
>-G

If I recall correctly...
The test tone file was a 30-second stereo 16-bit 44.1Khz pure sine wave.
The Left channel was a 440Hz sine, the right channel was 880Hz
Then compressed with -q0 at 192KHz with LAME
The file played perfectly on my PC and hiccupped regularly via the 35x7

Maybe Linus will remember what it was, as I sent him a copy at the
time (and it was a looooong time ago)
If you have no way to create such a file, or cannot recreate the
problem, please get back to me and I will repeat the experiment here
and get the test file to you somehow - I recall why I was doing it*
so it shouldn't be too hard for me to find the problem again.

BC

*I worked out how to create the illusion of cross-fading 2 stereo MP3
files while writing a game which required background music and
synched game-driven sound effects ...I started my preliminary tests
with pure sinewaves, so 440Hz was a logical place to start [middle-A].