Subject: Re: Gentlemen, we have *PCM* sound - on Archos!

Re: Gentlemen, we have *PCM* sound - on Archos!

From: Jens Arnold <>
Date: 2006-03-24

On 24.03.2006, Grant Hardy wrote:

> 1) That link you gave [] will
> not open and presents the error "object not found". 2) Is this

Oops. Should have been

> going to be available for the non-developer to try out soon?
> 3) Will there be ANY chance of .flac, .ogg, ...etc, being
> played on the Archos? If so, I'd never even consider getting
> rid of this unit. But as the WAV support was thought to be
> impossible, what about aac, flac...etc?

Ogg AAc etc - no chance for the CPU in the archos. FLAC
*might* be possible by optimising like hell. No promises.
The simple WAV compression schemes (ADPCM) should be within

> 4) How did you ever succeed this, when the chip in the Archos
> for playing MP3s is hardware?

The MAS can be teached to pass through PCM data. We received the
necessary codec a while ago and use it with permission from
Micronas and Archos.

Regards, Jens