Subject: Re: Generic questions

Re: Generic questions

From: Mike Holden <rockbox_at_mikeholden.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 15:10:23 -0000 (GMT)

CB said:
> Correct me if I am wrong here, but if the player does not support ogg
> then the you are out of luck. For example, the Ipod does not support
> ogg playback so just because you have Rockbox installed you still won't
> get ogg playback. But, if you have an Iriver, that does support ogg,
> then Rockbox will playback ogg files. I think this is correct, but if I
> am wrong please someone correct me.

Not necessarily true! If the hardware supports the addition of codecs
(either hardware or software supported), then Rockbox may well be able to
play formats that the original firmware does not. If the unit plays music
by basic codecs run in the main CPU, then any codec developed for Rockbox
will work on that player.

Some of the older players (e.g. archos) use a hardware chip to decode data
for playing music, and until recently only the hardcoded mp3 codec could
be used. However, as seen on this list only today, WAV playback is now
possible by Rockbox loading a new codec into the chip. This is something
that the original firmare was not able to do.
--
Mike Holden