Subject: Re: rockbox Digest, Vol 7, Issue 39

Re: rockbox Digest, Vol 7, Issue 39

From: Mark <discardedswimwear_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:20:14 +0100

> The point of having Rockbox on the iPod is that it is vastly superior to
> the iPod firmware with respect to playing audio.

Is that a usability superiority, or does it actually improve the audio
quality?
One thing that I'm sure lots of people would appreciate is a removal or
lessening of the silence gap between tracks on the default Apple firmware.

> It also allows you to use the iPod as a UMS device without being tied to
> iTunes.

One little point is that using software like XPlay (still with the default
Apple iPod firmware) does allow the iPod music files to be accessed as a
regular USB device. You don't need iTunes, and you can still use the Apple
firmware, but you do need to buy XPlay. I know this is a bit off topic for
RockBox, but I thought that some blind people might be interested in knowing
that this XPlay solution does allow very good access to _any_ iPod from a
PC; much better access than with iTunes. It is not an iPod-accessibility
solution, more of an iTunes-accessibility solution.

Mark